Tuesday, September 23, 2008

sitting here in the er at childrens...

This is my second trip Since December. Probably my fourth overall if memory serves... well fourth specifically to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis (the one on Chicago and 27th).

I almost have the protocol memorized, and am able to decipher a "good night" vs a "bad night". Little things like how quickly the doctor shows up, how quickly certain medications are ordered and administered.

Nobody wants to tell you you child is in danger, but after a couple trips to a place that specializes in children you start to pick up subtle clues. Some don't show up till after you child is on the mend. The doctors and nurses have a certain sense of relief, and you not sure why right away. Other clues, like a simple neb showing up within minutes of going to the ER room indicates yes there is a problem and it needs to be dealt with right now.

And every time I've been able to do the hardest thing... assure my daughter it's going to be o.k. I don't sugar coat it for her. I tell her there will be an IV, it will sting a bit. I agree with her that the neb mask sucks and let here know what a great job she's doing putting up with it.

But its a sad skill to be able to hide the worry and fear you have as a parent so that you child doesn't have more undue stress put on them.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have asthma. My youngest had Reactive Airway Disorder when he was little.

I feel for you and your little one...I really do. Best wishes for a better future.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home