Monday, February 02, 2009

Spinervals - 24 Hilacious

First off I still believe Coach Troy could be Henry Rollins' little brother...

Anyhow... rode the bike last night to Spinvervals DVD that is designed to help on hill climbing... Overall I like the Spinervals DVDs as they mix different types of interval training together so it doesn't get too boring. I've used this DVD before and find that it's a good workout.

The first two sets of climbs are O.K. (big ring / 14 or 13 in back 8 minutes each set.) Because I have a compact crank I try to remember to go one cog up from what the DVD says to get a similar workout. So though the DVD says to do the climbs in the 14 cog I follow the verbal advice from Troy and put it in the 13 cog. Seems to help.

Next up was 3 sets of 3 "rollers". Essentially high cadence while increasing resistance to simulate go over a series of rolling hills. Though it can be tough I like this part the best as you have to keep switching gears, keep the cadence high, etc. I do think the several minute cool down between sets is a bit long, so I'll just try to spin in a higher gear.

Last two sets were to simulate steep grades... this is where having a compact crank kinda hurts me. So even though I have it in the big ring and 12 on back, I just can't get quite enough resistance. Not big deal right now as I'm out of shape, but I'm gonna need to work on that to be able to do hills in the spring and summer. My response for this will be to increase cadence hopefully that will help.

Tonight, back to interval training and the "Smithers' Super Sekrit Plan".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home