Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Aikido Yoshokai curiousity...

So started back at Aikido with eldest daughter... and now the "academic" brain has started going...

She had her second class this last Saturday, and I attended my first beginners/basic class in ooooo... 18 years give or take (my 3rd kyu test was back in 90/91 just before the split.)

Eldest had a good time (the important thing at this stage) and even convinced the instructor to show her the use of the bokken. The instructor just showed her basic etiquette, which was a good call. I attribute going for the weapon as being indicitive that she's my daughter. :-)

As for the basic class, it went pretty well considering I'm out of shape and out of practice. The technique was familiar, nothing new except the ending pin. It was slightly different than what I expected (but don't have any recollection of what I might have done in the past.)

So the academic part I mentioned. It's been just shy of 20 years since AYANA split from Yoshinkai and became Yoshokai. I'm curious if any differences have developed, at least noticeable ones. Somme pins seem different, but just curious if anything else has changed especially since Kushida Sensei's son is pretty much head instructor (though there is is a claim that there is a governing body too.) What little I find on line seems to think there is little difference between the two except that AYANA is still highly centralized and controlled. For example test standards are very strict and still are sent out from the head dojo in the case of AYANA.

Also wondering how IYAF is doing, as there were some concerns, back in the day, that standards for dojos were going to become a little more loose (or allow for more independence depending on you view.) So wondering how that is going.

And again I view this as very academic as what matters on the ground is that the dojo I go to is run by good teachers, and that my daughter and I find it fun to do. Also eventually we'll introduce daughter #2 to Aikido, once I have #1 fully hooke. :-)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home